Saturday, November 28, 2009

Why I am really here...

I began this weekly blog back in September. It wasn't because I had a calling from a higher power to discuss sports. It was because I am completing my undergraduate degree and maintaining a blog was a class requirement. Don't act suprise. If one college is doing it, I'm sure thousands are doing the same. There hasn't been a new, fresh, outside of the box ideal since jazz...but don't get me started down that road. When it was time to chose a specific blog topic, I remembered what my 8th grade Social Studies teacher told me regarding a thesis. He said, "write what you can prove and not what you're emotionally attached to." Strong words from a guy that sat next to 80 year-old nuns all day. But, I think sportsmanlike conduct is a grey area that I can argue for or against depending on my mood. Considering the sizable number of blogs with similiar topics, someone is whispering "ditto" or giving me a cyber high-five.

For example, www.stlsports.org/sportsmanship/index.php
You need to do the secret handshake to get from this site which has a bunch of stuff about sportsmanship pledges, donations, scholarships, and donations to get to Solomon's blog. It was worth the dna samples just to read his mission statement: "Sportsmanship is a blog that showcases the respect, fair play, civility, and fun in sports. We will discuss the good, bad, and the ugly topics in sports - with the intention of making the sports experience better for all." He's not doing it for the grade although he is affiliated with the St. Louis Sports Foundations. With his Facebook fans, glare free photos, and variety of topics it is a "good read" as Oprah would say.

I conducted more searches because I thought it would be a nice ideal to showcase another blog. I got leery when I began pulling up things with "Indian" in the title. It could have been American Indians or it could have been blogs on the other side of the world. I'm not as adventourus (or lucky) as Tareq and Michaele Salahi. Also, I don't want my Internet connection interrupted by Big Bro. So let's assume you get the point that there are ethical blogs. One's that take notice to the little things for whatever underlying reason. And did I mention some take donations?

2 comments:

  1. I never really knew how popular blogs really were until I talked to my dad about it after we started this one in class. I have found it somewhat difficult to keep up with mine because I am not what they say to be an internet junky. When I told my dad I was starting a blog he was extremely interested and wanted the address to keep track of what I was writing. I had no idea that people all around the world almost religously worshiped these sites. And I am impressed to hear that bigger organizations are having their own to collect donations at least some are for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that you asked this question. Like aly i never really knew how popular blogs actually were. I realized this the other day when i was looking something up on google and many blog sites came up. There are thousands in the world and what makes anyones better or any different than someone elses? I also like the fact that you almost had a comical bit to your piece it made it all the more entertaining to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete