Saturday, November 21, 2009

Help me out on this one

The first order of business is to congratulate Baldwinsville on their win last weekend. They are the undefeated Section III High School football champs! If you'd like to read more about them, check this site out: www.baldwinsvillefootball.com

Now, have any of you taken the time to follow the World Series of Poker? I go to college, work, raise three boys (+ a husband); so Joe Cada winning it and 8.5 million dollars was one of those things that missed my radar. When I learned he was 21 years old, my radar malfunctioned. At that age, I got paid once a month and it was approximately $700. I worked anywhere from 40-100 hrs a week. And as my boys have painfully heard at least once a day, I "ate rocks" for breakfast. To turn on the television and see high school athletes going from pimples to professional status in sports is irritating because they earn 100 times more than me. But at least they spend time training,promoting, playing,etc... And here comes Cada -AKA- Mr. Ego. One of my favorite lines from an interview with Cada was, "college bored him." Everyone has their own opinion and hopefully their own tax preparer. This is after all America the land of opportunity. People can play a variety of sports and be rewarded.

Here's my question to you: what defines a sport nowadays? Pool games, chess tournaments, and food competitions are being labeled sports. Does it have to be competitive? How about a monetary prize? Rules set in stone or some "cut and paste" politically correct guidelines? I know it goes beyond the physical aspect that was synonymous with athletes/players at one time. Since the definition of a sport seems to be changing, it might be necessary to reengage the definition of sportsmanship as well. Give me a little feedback.

3 comments:

  1. I think that I am with you on this. If a hot dog eating contest is sport, then what isn't. If anyone knows where I can be a professional Sour Patch Kid eater and get paid, can you please let me know. As for Mr. Cada, I can only dream. I'm a bit of a poker player myself and I do know that it takes a lot more than some luck, but come on, if cards are a sport then what isn't. I think I'd call it a hobby or maybe a recreational activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sour Patch Kid eater...lol
    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, really 8.5 Millon dollars at twenty one I wish! Just like yourself my mother has also given me the daily lectures to be thankful for what I have...But back on topic of what really defines a sport. I really do believe sport is about physical competition, physical being the key word. Yes poker, and the annual hotdog eating competition is competitive but not physically overworking. I think a new definition of sport is changing now a days but so will sportmanship.

    ReplyDelete