Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the greatest

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
That's universally known as words from boxing great, Muhammad Ali.

Here's another:
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

What do either have to do with the sport of boxing? Not a damn thing. But, they were catchy words that got your attention. Attention slowly turns to loyalty along the way. Some called it poetry, the dozens, or trash talking. Did it really matter his words were labeled? The intent was to loudly communicate he was going to fight with all of his heart and win. Now check this out (read with a less than intelligible high voice)...

"I felt Holyfield was using his head illegally. I told the referee I wasn't getting any help, so I went back to the streets to smoke him. I cannot defend it, but it happened." Those words came from former heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson. His words seem more like fingernails against the chalk board.

Besides women becoming more involved, the sport of boxing has not changed much in my view. However, its ambassadors have moved in directions that make the fans longing for the good ole days. The days before Tyson bit off a piece of Holyfield's ear. But those days included incidents like Duk Koo Kim. Things are not black and white in the world of boxing. I personally don't enjoy boxing. I do admire and respect anyone passionate about what they do; and that's what Ali's mouthy campaign boiled down to. Do you think Ali's words (sometimes accompanied by a mini-comedy show) was an example of good or poor sportsmanship? Keep in mind he retired with a record of 56 Wins, 5 Loss, 37 KOs. I want to close this out with one of my favorite quotes where he says,"I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world."

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you in a sense that I have never really enjoyed boxing. I do believe it is a sport but I feel that it is too vicious and I could never watch someone purposely try to permanently injure someone. Muhammad Ali was a great athlete and from your quotes a good speaker. I think that the best athletes should be educated and know what they are talking about when going to talk to the press. The worst is when a great athlete such as Lebron James makes a horrible speech after a great victory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muhammad Ali brought both personality and humor to the game of boxing. The sport had never seen such an iconic figure- and one with a unique style. I can't help but admire Ali, he really was the greatest at what he did, and his fights are the most memorable in my experience with the sport. But there is no doubt his bragging and taunting were signs of poor sportsmanship. The fame and fortune must have got to his head quite a bit, and now we have boxers like Floyd Mayweather who follow in his footsteps, bragging and boasting their way into the ring. If you ever see Ali now you can see what toll the sport has taken on his body, and i imagine his mind. If you asked him today about it i doubt he regrets his attitude, but at the same time i dont know if he would do it all over again and be as much a showman as he was. It takes a sense of maturity to go about your business and do it without foolish pride- Reuben Carter was an amazing boxer who never bragged about what he'd done in the ring, and id like to believe the most respected and supported of sports hero's act in such a way...but Ali's fame speaks for itself, and proves that America like's its heros to be loud and flaunting of their victories.....its just the American way.

    ReplyDelete